[OM] Re: Trying a new gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: Trying a new gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:28:17 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:

>I took a lot of slides as well, and used an 81a (except on the XA,
>obviously) for color correction.

You can just hold a filter in front of the camera.

>But with the C5050 I didn't have one to
>fit. I planned afterwards to adjust that in computer, but have discovered
>after getting home that I don't yet have the skills or knowledge or software
>to do that with any satisfaction :-(

Don't feel bad about your editing skills. this is one of the few cases
where a filter effect cannot be duplicated in an image editor. One can
fix some shots, often with a lot of effort.

The problem is that the blue sensors are sensitive into the UV region.
At the same time it is recording all the regular blue in the scene, it
is recording the high levels of UV at altitude. In an editor, there is
no way of separating these two sources of blue. So adjusting areas
affected by the UV to look balanced will give excessive decreases to
blue in other areas. Sometimes, the areas may be distinct enough to
allow separation into separate levels where the balance may be corrected
individually.

Oddly enough, it is actually better to overcompensate for UV, with an
81B or C, than to only partially compensate or not compensate at all.
Then you can simply correc for the loss of blue balance, but at least
there isn't any UV causing trouble. Not a good plan for slides, but fine
for digicams.

Moose