[OM] Re: OM holiday snaps

Subject: [OM] Re: OM holiday snaps
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:27:21 +0100
Moose wrote:

> I hope this will make it easier to see. If it doesn't, maybe
> there is something wrong with your monitor, its settings or
> driver, your browser or ??? The diferences are pretty obvious here.

Yes, I can see now.

You have indeed managed to restore some of the colour, depth, and dynamic
range, but the most striking aspect is that you've brought back at least part
of the clarity and crispness of the original slides.

0523-30 Le Lac Vert
The changes are subtle but you've introduced clarity to see into the water
better (mainly by darkening the image to get rid of the lightness on the water
surface?). I can see there's extra sharpening, too.

0524-19 View from Säntis
The changes in this are most striking, I think. The blue sky is obvious, but
the major contribution you have made is to introduce clarity again to draw
one's eye to the horizon, where you can see much better just how far into the
distance you can see. The foreground has been darkened and sharpened, too, but
I'm not convinced by that, I have to say.

0525-04 Freiburg
You've restored the deep red on the trade building very nicely, and again got
rid of the haze. The cobblestones have also been brought to life and crispened
up very nicely.

0525-33 Titisee
This is the one with fewest changes, as you say. The changes are subtle, and I
haven't convinced myself they make a huge difference one way or the other, to
be honest.

Now we come to the crux of the problem: I have no idea how to do the same on
any new scans. As people here will no, I'm not a fan of digital manipulation,
but equally I can't see any harm in trying to put back what the scanner has
taken away. But at this point, I'm not in possession of the knowledge (or even
possibly the software -- not sure on that one!) about how to do it.

Could you tell me how long it took you, please? At least that will give me an
idea of whether I *want* to learn...

Thanks again, and thanks also to all those who have looked at and commented on
my snaps.

Simon