[OM] Re: USA Southwest

Subject: [OM] Re: USA Southwest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:02:31 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:

>Tsk. Standard English. If I used Oz dialect, you wouldn't understand
>much at all. It's common for North Americans to standardise the 'ize'
>ending and everyone else in the english speaking world to use 'ise'
>although the real distinction is between Greek and Latin roots, I
>believe.
>Great - it's ages since we had a grammar stoush on the list.

And so remains, insofar is I can see.

Isn't this about spelling? Or are spelling and grammar not to be
distinguished from each other in the proper English speaking parts of
the world?

I choose not to even consider taking up the cudgels from the viewpoint
of etymology. How we spells 'em here is how we spells 'em here and
that's that.

Moose