[OM] Re: USA Southwest

Subject: [OM] Re: USA Southwest
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:09:01 +1100

On 31/10/2005, at 10:11 PM, Moose wrote:

> Pshaw! Grammar is how words are used together. Surely questions of
> which
> letters, and in what order, comprise an individual word, without any
> question about its meaning or useage in grammar, is a matter of
> spelling
> variants. Organize and organise have the same meaning and are used the
> same in sentence construction. They differ only in spelling.

a term used to refer to various aspects and levels of language as a
system, for instance the conventions which govern word formation and
word order within sentences. More broadly, it covers the construction
of larger units such as paragraphs and complete texts. Grammatical
relationships within and between sentences are signalled by cohesive
devices. (See cohesion.) Grammar includes syntax (the study of
sentence structure) and morphology (the study of word structure).
www.tta.gov.uk/php/read.php

Note - morphology (word structure). If it was just syntax, we
wouldn't need both words. The rules for '-ise' and '-ise' are
definitely based in grammar although clouded by regional usage and
preference.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ise1.htm
I soooo glad that circumcise is the only correct form!
AndrewF