[OM] Re: Kodak T400CN - processing?

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak T400CN - processing?
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:19:11 -0000 (GMT)

> James, thanks for the feedback.
>
> The main reason I was interested in using the film in the first place was
> the possibility of getting virtually instant results back from a local
> photo
> processor - if it's necessary to send it away to a lab (been using Lab120
> lately - pretty good results & fast turnaround) then I might as well stick
> to one of the many "standard" B&W films available. Suppose I could always
> use colour print film & Photoshop to B&W if I really need a 1 hour service
> -
> just doesn't seem right somehow...
>
> So, anyone in the UK actually managed to get T400CN (or Ilford XP2)
> processed on the premises at any of the mainstream high street photo
> processors?

I have had ok results from jessops tottenham court road (london) (develop
only no prints with XP2) including their 1 hour service. However, they
seem less and less interested in film in general. Their slide processing
is no longer done in house and is just sent off to kodak...
James

P.S. if you scan XP2 its fairly easy to adjust the black and white point
and gamma to make a shot rated at 100asa to look like a standard 400asa
shot but with the finer grain. Underexposed XP2 (800asa 1600asa) can look
very contrasty but if you look carefully its the large course black grain
that is increasing the weight of the shadows. In general I take an XP2
shoot a 400 asa to get a reasonable idea of contrast and then retake at
100asa. I use the 400asa as a reference for contrast and brightness and
adjust the 100asa to match. I then get the finer grain and avoid flatness.
True it takes two shoots that way...

James