[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:20:26 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Hmmm.  Take the 64 bit stuff with a bit of caution.  Even on a Pentium
>class machine well written 16 bit code is often faster than 32 bit code.

And how much of that is around any more?? So much commercial software is
written at very high levels and compiled with very indifferent compilers.

Still a deight to use something like XTPRO sometimes.

Remember when MS came out with, TA! TA!, Visual BASIC? They printed the
code for a simple little command line program on the box and in ads. I
programmed the same thing in assembler. It was about a thousand times
smaller. Hit the enter key on the VSB version and waist 2-3 secs for the
answer. With assembler, you just couldn't see any delay.

I still write some stuff for a client in Clarion for Windows. An amazing
combo of a very high level development system, an intermediate step of a
fully developed and documented language where anything you couldn't do
at the high level can be done and then a really first class compiler.
Small, bug free and superfast code. It all came from the merger of a
high level development system developer with a maker of optimizing
compilers.

Generally, though, I've pretty much reconciled myself to big, slow apps
with poor memory management. Unlike others, I'm not willing to wait
several minutes for every operation. 2.8mz P$, 2gb and a big, fast SATA
disk for cache are almost fast enough. I suppose I'll be going 64 bit
for the next machine, just after PS goes 64 bit. :-)

Moose