[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:35:09 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, ScottGee1 wrote:

> Since my primary use of the new box will be image processing, I'm
> looking to resolve the typical bottlenecks, i.e., disk and memory/bus
> speed (or lack thereof).  the new MBs and architecture for the 64-bit
> systems seem to up the ante in these areas.

The largest performance increase in the near future is going to come from
the new multi-core chips, not 64-bit processors.  Next year Intel will be
rolling out a number of new cores with multiple processors in them.  With
good software multi-core processors will really speed up image processing.
I believe Photoshop already has some multi-processor support built in.
                                        -mark