[OM] Re: Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:27:49 -0600
John,
        The ones I had experience with up in your neck of the woods are about
3-4mm long. I didn't find the initial bite to be very painful, unlike a Deer or
Horse Fly, but substances in their saliva causes subcutaneous hemorrhage that
varies quite a bit from person to person. Also took a long time to heal.
        I'm afraid I did AG a disservice by ranting on about these biting
flies. In most NE states they emerge in the Spring and by the end of July they
are virtually gone. Once I learned that, I limited my backpacking in NY to late
Summer/ Fall and never had a problem with insects.

Charlie