[OM] Re: E-500 availability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 availability
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:12:47 -0600
On 11/4/05, robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Olympus E-500 two lens kit is available at <yesmicro.com> (a chain of
> stores) for $858.95. Shipping by FedEx is $6.95. At last look they had 85 on
> hand. Demand must be good. Price has gone up. Purchased mine for $831.54
> delivered. Ordered it late Monday evening. It arrived yesterday afternoon. It
> appears to be a terrific little camera, light weight, but solid construction.
> Except for the battery compartment/grip extension, it isn't much bigger than
> the OM. Lenses are larger of course. The viewfinder is small compared to the
> OMs, but adequate. I think the small viewfinder complaints are mostly
> nitpicking. Camera is loaded with features that will take me a while to figure
> out. I am looking forward to it. Camera gets it's maiden voyage tomorrow when
> I make an excursion to a local forest preserve to catch some Fall foliage.
>
> My son has an E-300. He is seriously considering trading it in for an E-500.
> Perhaps this camera will give Olympus a boost in the DSLR market.
>
> Robert

I hope you enjoy the E-500, Robert.  That looks like just an
incredible set of goods for the money.  I suspect you're right about
the comments on the viewfinder.  It would be more valid to compare it
to the E-1, which also doesn't come up to OM standards but in its
domain is more than adequate.

Joel W.