[OM] Re: I am stuck!

Subject: [OM] Re: I am stuck!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:22:45 -0500
Did you ask the seller how this was put together?  Could be it was just
cranked down really hard but given the muscle you've put into it glue is
sounding more likely.

Anyhow, acetone is the method for removing superglue
<http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html>
Most folks use nail polish remover but there's a warning here that not
all modern nail polish removers actually contain acetone so check it out.

If it's epoxy you're in deeper water.  Nothing will actually dissolve it
but LocTite says acetone or Easy-Off oven cleaner may soften it over
time.  <http://www.loctiteproducts.com/questions.asp?answerme=83>

You might also want to view this page which talks of heating to 400-450F
to soften the epoxy with cautions about toxic fumes and working fast.
<http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=General&number=1&topic=002091.cgi&TopicSubject=Loctite+609>

Ultimately, you might have to drill the screw out and re-tap the threads.

Chuck Norcutt