[OM] Re: Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop - now a little Texas bragging

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop - now a little Texas bragging
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:40:59 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2005 9:06:07 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx writes:

AG and I  were getting bit by flies in early October, though it was
warmer than usual  this year and they were mainly concentrated down by
the water.  Other  occasions when I've been to northern Michigan in
early October the wind,  rain, and snow was more the factor.

In Michigan they wear red plaid  jackets and caps with earflaps.  The people
too.

I wish you guys would quit complaining about your little bugs.  Spring  time
is wonderful in Texas.  We have beautiful wildflowers, the birds come  into
the rookeries for breeding, the snakes, alligators and other
reptiles/amphibians start stirring and swarms of mosquitos start doing their
thing.  100% DEET
is their beverage of choice, West Nile virus is  their gift to the world and
fools like me invade their habitat to capture images  which may make the trip
worth making.  There is no way for me to tell  you how one can be covered head
to foot with these insects and get you to  understand how many of the little
blood suckers there might be.  They  cover your Levi's, bite through layers of
clothes, ask for another round of  DEET, fly into your camera body when you
are changing lenses, get in your eyes,  ears and throat.  When you get in your
car a few dozen will join you for  the trip home.  You can put your windows
down and swat at them, but you  won't get them all.  That is something only a
day
or so of Texas heat  can do to them when you lock them up in your car.  If
you are really  unlucky, you will end up with a few of them in your bedroom.
They seem to  delight in buzzing your ears while you are trying to sleep.  Go
ahead and  get up and swat them if you can find them.  If you are successful,
you will  have a dead mosquito and a big spot of your blood that you smashed
out
of their  body stuck to the wall.    You want to see insects, come to Texas
and I'll show you insects . . . and some other wonderful things.  Now stop
whining.  Bill Barber