[OM] Re: [lens] I am stuck!

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] I am stuck!
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:23:41 -0500
Try more heat first. Super glue loses strength when heated, and
you reach the entire layer.

Try solvents. Alcohol is gentle, and you can work your way up to
acetone (nail polish remover) which dissolves super glue - and
paint. Work in a WELL ventilated space, ie, outside, or on a
stove with a fan exhausting outside. You could try applying with a
tiny brush.

Don't forget to regrease afterwards.

tOM

On 4 Nov 2005 at 8:54,
NSURIT@xxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well actually it is not me but rather a couple of OM parts.  I have
> a  focusing stage to which the bottom part of a bellows unit has
> been  attached.  See ebay item # 7556135109.  It seems to be stuck
> and I  suspect someone super glued them together.  There are no
> visible signs of  super glue, however I can't get the knob to budge.
>  What I've  done so far, besides using a bit of muscle, is to take
> the nylon block out,  put some penetrating oil in the hole where the
> screw is, apply a little heat,  apply some muscle and then apply
> some more muscle.  It won't  move.  Any ideas?  Any ideas if we
> assume super glue is the  culprit?  What I haven't done is use a
> vise, a pair of channel locks of  anything else that I might try
> when really frustrated.  I'm interested in  ending up with the two
> component parts useable and not looking like Attila the  Hun
> repaired them.  Guess if it was epoxy, there would be several who
> could  offer advice.  One clue is that the rubber on top of the
> focusing stage is  still in place.  Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> I'll probably ship it to either Clint or John if I can't sort it out
>  myself.
>  Which of these two looks most like a gorilla?  I've met Clint  and
>  he
> doesn't, however unless someone emails me and says John is a real
> animal,  I'll just have to toss a coin.  Bill  Barber

---

          -- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier, 758 Albert St,
 _-\_<,         Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633
                Abacurial Information Architecture
                            SETI stats