[OM] Re: USA Southwest

Subject: [OM] Re: USA Southwest
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:04:03 -0000
Reminds me of a fascinating little (US published) book I had, but lost - A
Dictionary of Russian Obscenities.

Whereas in English we have a limited number of such verbs as f*ck, scr*w,
r**t, in Russian there's a bookful, thanks to the use of prefixes to add to
the basic meaning the sense of (for example) "repeatedly", "to death",
"satisfactorily" and so on, all in one word.  It's a delightfully
well-engineered system which packs a lot of functionality into a small and
user-friendly package.  Just like a Maitani-designed camera, in fact.

!

--
Piers