[OM] Christmas is coming...

Subject: [OM] Christmas is coming...
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:05:15 +0000
Hi,

I have been lurking for some time - so my apologies if you have already
discussed this but I am after your valued opinions on the various
portable file storage/viewers available now. My main requirements are:

1) Copy photos off flash cards when out and about
2) Portable photo album which could be used to show photos on the
built-in screen or a TV

So something like the Epson P2000 or P4000
(http://www.epson.co.uk/products/digital_cameras/P4000.htm) maybe? But
that doesn't come with a remote control for those TV slideshows and then
for about the same money if not cheaper you can get devices that will
record from a video source. My wife likes this idea (so this is now an
essential feature) for when we are stuck at her mum's and instead of
missing her favourite show, we can just plug it into the scart output on
a TV or VCR and press record.

So what I'm left with is:

PQI mPack 800
(http://www.pqi.com.tw/eu/product2.asp?oid=8&cate1=8&proid=1) which does
provide some functions to appeal to photographers - histograms, some
Exif data and an attempt at viewing RAW files.

Archos AV500 (http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500680.html) which is
only just out and somehow gives me a better feeling because Archos has
more of a history in this field.

I get the impression that if I put off my purchasing decision for about
half an hour I would have another 3 devices to choose from - but isn't
that always the way.

I would value any opinions on the above devices or any others worthy of
consideration.

Thanks,

Mike.