[OM] Re: I am stuck!

Subject: [OM] Re: I am stuck!
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 12:21:36 -0600
OK, first some terminology to be sure we're on the same level.  From the
bottom up, you've got a Focusing Rail (MER) with a Focusing Stage (MER-S),
on top of which is attached the tripod block of the focusing rail of an Auto
Bellows (MEB), right?  And the locking screw coming up from the Focusing
Stage into the tripod block of the Auto Bellows can't be unscrewed, right?

Unless you can see plier-marks on the knob, I would assume some sort of
sealant has been applied to the threads, too.  Otherwise it would have come
apart by now!

I would start by heating things with a hair drier, then try loosening the
knob.  You might want to keep some good leather work gloves handy -- it can
get pretty hot!  Don't get things too hot, though, you don't want to deform
any of the nylon or plastic parts.  A small scrap of inner tube may improve
your grip on the knob.  Next, wrap the knob with the inner tube and try
carefully turning it with pliers.

If that doesn't work, put an ice cube on the exposed part of the knob while
it's hot, making sure the melt drips away from the rest of the mechanisms.
Or use some of that chiller-in-a-can, and try again.

The parts page shows that the knob on the Focusing Stage has a cap over it's
top.  As a near-to-last resort, you might try lifting that cover off and
find some way to cut a slot or notch in the knob that you can fit a large
screwdriver into.  If the "abuse" is covered by the cap, more's the better.
Or, if your work is neat enough, you can paint over the cut and pretend it's
factory work!

> Well actually it is not me but rather a couple of OM parts.  I have a
> focusing stage to which the bottom part of a bellows unit has been
attached.  See
> ebay item # 7556135109.  It seems to be stuck and I  suspect someone super
> glued them together.  There are no visible signs of  super glue, however I
can't
> get the knob to budge.  What I've  done so far, besides using a bit of
muscle,
> is to take the nylon block out,  put some penetrating oil in the hole
where
> the screw is, apply a little heat,  apply some muscle and then apply some
more
> muscle.  It won't  move.  Any ideas?  Any ideas if we assume super glue is
the
> culprit?  What I haven't done is use a vise, a pair of channel locks of
> anything else that I might try when really frustrated.  I'm interested in
ending
> up with the two component parts useable and not looking like Attila the
Hun