[OM] Re: Christmas is coming...

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas is coming...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:37:21 -0800
We all approach these things a little differently.

I tend to like devices that do one thing well rather than devices
that do many things, sort of. I admit though that I did try that
awful Belkin card reader for the iPod, which confirmed my prejudice
against multipurpose devices.

The laptop. I am not interested in carrying a laptop in much of my
travels, only if I am driving, and then only for its internet
capabilities. It is just too much to carry for a trip that requires
air travel, especially overseas or on a tour. Adding DVD burning to
the load is just more busy work than I want on a trip. Usually there
are much more interesting things to do related to the trip than
reviewing pictures in the evening, for me at least. I sort of look at
each day for itself and am not likely to be able or to want to go
back and try to get that shot perfectly the next day.

I do my photo work on my desktop machine which has a better and more
accurate display than a laptop is likely to ever have. So the laptop
is not used for that.

And I am a creature of habit. So I don't want to do one thing for a
driving trip and another for air travel. So I decided I needed a one
of those small drive devices, one with a display, that would tell me
whether the image was fine or corrupted. The laptop is out of the
picture storage loop even if it is along. The Epson was not out yet
and I got one of the little Trax devices which had good reliability
feedback after an initial spate of minor problems. It views raw files
and has a cover to protect the display and there are regular updates
for the latest raw formats. Works fine. Ugly little display, but fine
for my purposes. It is supposed to play through a television and play
music, but I have not been interested in trying it out. If I were
getting something now it would probably be the Epson which has a much
better, though unprotected, display and better battery life.

I carry enough CF card and battery capacity for about two days'
shooting just in case something unexpected happens like a failure. I
download the images from the CF cards and recharge the batteries each
evening.

When I arrive home it is a simple matter to download the images from
the Trax to the PowerMac and do my thing. If I want a portable image
show I will assemble a "slide show" of reduced size JPEGs and
transfer them to my laptop over the wireless connection and import
them into iPhoto where I will set the change rate and link some
appropriate tunes to play with the show.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA