[OM] Re: Christmas is coming...

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas is coming...
From: Jez Cunningham <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:41:22 +0100
Well I'm a cheapskate and I like to travel light so let me tell you what has
worked for me. Reliably so far.
 I bought a 2,5" harddrive case with USB-OTG for about $20 - the 'bay is
full of them, mainly from HK or China. Mine was named "Look". Came with
battery pack for 4 AAs. I bought a 2nd-hand 2,5" harddrive. A 6GB for about
$15 - they're plentiful as people upgrade their 2-3 year-old laptops to
40/60/80GB. Now I plug the CF card into a USB2 reader, and plug that into
the drive and press the Copy button. When the 'copy' light stops flickering
about 10 minutes later (for a gigabyte card) I pull the card, put it back in
the camera and reformat. (There are also 'error' lights and 'full'
lights...)
 Each card download is copied to a new folder on the drive, numbered
sequentially/chronologically.
 When I get home I just plug the box into the PC (USB-powered) and download
at USB2 speed to the main harddrive, copy to the backup harddrive and burn
to CD.
 6GB has been enough for me for 1-2 weeks (1000 raw files) and I started
with that just to prove the point - I may upgrade to 40/60/80...
 The whole caboodle fits in a little case not much bigger than a fat
paperback book - and I use the NiMH AAs and charger that I carry for the
flash anyway.
 Yes, you have to have faith that the card copy really worked, and of course
you have no screen to view the files, but I find the in-camera LCD with zoom
good enough.
 br
Jez