[OM] In over my head!

Subject: [OM] In over my head!
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 06:40:39 -0800 (PST)
Darin,
I don't know which camera you are going to use, but I would use its lightmeter
just for refference or not at all.
Better if you get a handheld lightmeter and take incident readings.  It has a
little white ball that you can slide in front of the light sensor.  If you want
the reflected reading (the same as the one in the camera, you slide the white
ball aside and point it to the subject.  For tricky situations, such as snow,
you cover the sensor with the white ball and standing next to your subject,
point it in the direction where you are going to be taking the picture from.
The disadvantage is that incident does not work that well if you are shooting
against the sun.
Many years ago on this list I heard the rumor that if you have a handheld meter
without the ball (i.e. it does not take incident readings) you can cover the
sensor with an eggshell...
Another guide that I would use is the inserts of the film box.  They give you
directions what speeds to use in different situations.  In my last two years of
using my OM1, I did not have a light meter.  Using the guide inside and helped
by the handheld at the beginning, after while I was able to expose perfectly
without even using lightmeter at all.
Boris