[OM] Re: Another Christmas present that wasn't quite so free

Subject: [OM] Re: Another Christmas present that wasn't quite so free
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:12:57 -0800 (PST)
> I find that for my tastes, after a while, Kelby's attempts at
> humor get in the way of getting on with the business at
> hand.  For working on photos I recommend Katrin
> Eismann's "PhotoShop Restoration & Retouching".

I've dug through various books at the big brick bookstore as
well as the local camera shops.  I find most of these "how to"
and "inner workings" books on computer photo editing to be a
waste of my time.  There is usually a couple hints and tips that
I find useful, but most of the time these are self-glorifying
image-portfolios with some text thrown in.  Or they are written
by geeks that just rewrite the existing manual in an even more
incomprehensible manner.

Not that I'm immune to buying books, (as my personal library
attests to), but having been a technical writer and instructor I
get pretty irritated with some peoples writings.  Also, I've
been editing images in editors since Photoshop 1.0 and with all
of the excellent educational resources on the web...  However,
even old dogs can still learn new tricks, and I usually
speed-read those at the book store.

> If you only have Elements you'll have to figure out something
> different when curves come into play but I think the vast
> majority of what's in Eismann's book can probably be done
> with Elements 3.

Elements 3.0 is still a butter knife when it comes to layers,
curves and a few other things that I do frequently.  For that, I
still have my "real" editors.

Oh, side note...  I'm contemplating the purchase of a new
printer in 2006.  Finally considering one of these new Epson
pigment printers.  No way would I get rid of the Canon, though.
The speed of the Canon really makes a huge difference when speed
is important. For example, yesterday I outputted 43 letter-sized
prints in just over an hour and a half.  Yeah, it consumed a
bit-o-ink and the old USB 1.0 interface was going into meltdown.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com