[OM] Re: I quite like using the fisheye on the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: I quite like using the fisheye on the E-1
From: Jim Brokaw <j.l.brokaw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:19:43 -0800
on 11/7/05 7:19 AM, John Hermanson at omtech@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Some groups that have glue defects can be unglued the rest of the way by
> soaking element in a pan of warm/hot acetone.  If elements are glued with
> balsam, this could work fast, I don't know, more research would be needed.
>
> John Hermanson
> Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
> 21 South Lane, Huntington, NY 11743
> 631-424-2121  |  omtech@xxxxxxxxx
> www.zuiko.com
> Factory Trained OM Service since 1977

Just be real careful how warm you get that acetone... it is -extremely-
flammable. I'd consider using a 'slow' oven without any acetone, this will
melt the older balsam optic cements. I've read that about 150-180 degrees F
is what you need. Newer optic cements (the UV cured kind) I think can be
uncured with MEK or maybe xylene. I think Edmunds Scientific sells an UV
optic cement remover along with the UV cements. Or check an optic supplier
like Melles Griot.

When I tried the vinegar treatment on my fungus stricken elements they
literally perforated and dissolved... they were totally unusuable before so
there was no real loss at that point, but it was a shock none the less.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...