[OM] element repairs and stuff relating to the 8mm fisheye although also

Subject: [OM] element repairs and stuff relating to the 8mm fisheye although also relevant to other lenses
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:57:59 +0100
I think maybe I should have stopped working on the rear element group
about half an hour before I did. I had manged to get it looking quite
clear and the fungus which was between the layers had I thought receded,
but my wife reported that she could still see it, so I thought maybe a
little longer in the acetone would do the trick, unfortunately it seems
to have penetrated more into the glue between the layers so optically I
am back to where I was when I started.

The second element the single one, I managed to improve with some very
gentle rubbing with some hand creme (not ponds though). But you can
still see the remnants of the fungus on the lens which to my wifes eye
appears as watermarks.

I am aware that this is a rare lens, however its real worth is now
debatable when compared against the two hundred dollar 8mm pelang  and
now the new 8mm digital zuiko.

The options now though are to repair the lens,

1.   I could try contacting focal point (or can this be done by a list
member e.g John) and just ship them the rear elements  to see if they
can repair them but it would be quicker if I could find a company in
switzerland or germany or even UK. Should I maybe ask at one of the
opticians here.

2.  I could leave the rear group to soak overnight  in acetone which I
am fairly confident will separate them  - then get hold of some new
cement and try recementing, It the rotation as well as alignment
important. For the other element I could buy some ponds cream and try
again rubbing a little bit then cleaning it off, then a bit more etc so
I gently polish the surface, hopefully removing the marks.

3.  I just leave it and put it all back together and use it.

another thought but now I have the lenses in reasonable condition,
assuming they are separated could they not be measured by an optician or
their lab and then new ones made with equivalent strength and refractive
index etc, I am assuming technology has  given us some benefit ;-) and
if one set can be made then two or more could be made to help the others
on the list - OR am I just looking at things far to simply.

Ian
who has been posting Fully On topic stuff lately :-)