[OM] Photos without flash - advice wanted

Subject: [OM] Photos without flash - advice wanted
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:43:30 -0500
When travelling abroad on business, I often find myself attending
cultural entertainment put on at dinners and receptions under floods or
other artificial light. I don't travel with a flash (simply too bulky or
not powerful enough) and have got used to photos with a yellow cast.

On my last trip, I thought that I would simply get my photos on CD and
address the colour issue post-processing (OM2N, auto mode, Kodak 400,
100/2 probably wide open). The entertainers were well lit and the
lighting was static (ie, there weren't floods moving or changing colours).

To my surprise this time, I found that all such photos (the "best" one
can be seen at:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx/album?.dir=/6754&.src=ph
) had blown-out highlights. The entertainers were dressed in white
blouses/shirts, which obviously didn't help.

So, the questions I have are:

a) how should I meter such scenes to preserve the highlights? and
b) can “levels” in PS (Elements 2, in my case) correct the yellow cast
of such photos?

Some thoughts on a):
- use spot metering for highlights (if I had an OM4t);
- use manual mode rather than auto, and meter on the highlights;
- use auto but compensate, say -½ or -1 stop.

Of course, if all else fails, I should take a flash!

Grateful for any suggestions.

Martin Walters