[OM] Re: OM-4 + Winder 2 Fun

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 + Winder 2 Fun
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:32:30 -0600
The slot in the bottom of the winders is too narrow for the OM-2s/3/4, etc.
MD caps.  Once you have the cap out, you might try shaving the "lips" on
either side down about half way with an X-acto-type knife -- that way, it
will take old and new MD caps.

Try using a bent paperclip first -- make the hook very tight.  Then maybe a
crochet hook.

Last, remove the four screws that keep the bottom of the winder in place --
one long screw at the top of the battery chamber opening, two in back (may
be self-threading), the upper one at the end with the switch.  Be careful
routing the wires on reassembly so that they don't get pinched or too close
to the motor's pinion gear.

>   Anyone know a trick to get stuck MD caps out of Winders? I'm toying with
> the idea of bending a small screwdriver into a hook, then pushing the cap
out
> from the back, but the last thing I want to do is damage the MD cap or the
> Winder.

If you're storing for any duration, best to just remove the batteries,
especially from your winder, not just the body.  The batteries in the winder
will bend the tray until it stops making good contact.  And avoid excessive
heat -- I suspect that's the cause for LCD fading.

>   Also, does anyone know of anything I need to watch out for with the OM4?
> used an OM10 up to now, and I've heard of the "battery drain" issue on
OM4s
> (basically, set the shutter to "Red 1/60" or "B" before packing it away).
Are