[OM] Buying an external DVD burner (mostly OT)

Subject: [OM] Buying an external DVD burner (mostly OT)
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:48:47 +1100
As the subject says, I'm planning on buying an
external DVD burner. The prompting for this is
actually the apparent, sudden failure of the
Lite-on CD-burner that came with my HP PC to be
able to download audio CD's to my PC (for subsequent
and jump, no matter which software I use to do
so (and you can hear the CD player seemingly
struggling - stopping/starting - as it tries to
read them). I'm not sure if this is the CD-burner,
the drivers, the OS, or what, though I've spent a
while Googling for solutions.

Anyway, as I say, it's "prompting", as I was
thinking of getting a DL DVD-burner for the
purposes of data (read "photos") backup anyway.

Thus, are there any specific recommendations people
have. From what I have seen a LaCie D2 DL 16x
gets reasonable raps, and I've priced it around the
traps, but I'd appreciate second opinions and
alternatives.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,
Marc
Sydney, Oz