[OM] Re: Photos without flash - advice wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: Photos without flash - advice wanted
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:05:39 -0500
Martin, my experience with Costco scans indicates that they are, to be
blunt, bad.

This, after I got to know the lab manager of one of the local stores
and we really tested the software to find out what it could do.  We
got it to output TIFs and even they were bad.  And by bad, I mean
noisy, grainy, limited dynamic range, odd colors.  Did I miss
anything?

I suspect the scanners they use are there simply so they can tell
people they can make $3 CDs.  Look elsewhere for real quality.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1

On 11/10/05, Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chuck, Moose:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Honestly, it didn't occur to me that the original scan (Costco, from
> negative) could have been bad.  There are a couple of sunset photos on
> the same CD and the highlights also appear blown out. I just assumed
> that it was my error.  I will look at the negatives, and perhaps get one
> or two reprinted to see how they turn out.
SNIP!
> -  Just how good are the scans from labs like those in Costco? Are the
> results limited by the equipment or by the operator?
> -  Is it worth looking for "professional" labs to scan negatives, when
> the photos are out of the ordinary (e.g., lots taken that need the
> levels adjusted)?
SNIP!