[OM] Cleaning dusty mirror/finder?

Subject: [OM] Cleaning dusty mirror/finder?
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:20:16 GMT
Hi,
  Does anyone know of a method for cleaning dust off the glass viewfinder
and mirror of an OM10 or OM4? There's a large speck of dust on the '4's
finder, right in the middle, which is incredibly annoying. The '10 has the
same problem, except the aforementioned dust is on the mirror. Attempting to
blow away the dust did absolutely no good at all.

  I was going to use a soft paintbrush, but I can't find one that hasn't been
used. I've also got a Microfibre lens cloth that I use to clean my glasses
(and the OM lenses), but I'm more than a little hesitant to use that on the
innards of my OM... Would a Qtip be OK, or is that tempting fate?

  Anyone got any suggestions?

  Also - hypothetical situation - you accidentally touch a glass viewfinder
with your finger while you're inserting it. Is there any way to get the
greasy fingermark off, or does it actually damage the 'finder? I was thinking
99% isopropyl alcohol (aka isopropanol, propan-2-ol, among other things)
might work, but if the finders are coated, it might damage the coating.. Just
thinking out loud here, don't mind me :)

Thanks.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn RiscPC600 SA220 64MB+6GB 100baseT
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx              | Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxe R2 512MB+100GB