[OM] Re: Oly Woes

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly Woes
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:07:46 -0500
At 08:52 PM 11/10/2005, you wrote:

>market, which is currently dominated by compact models (72%), with
>digital SLRs making up just 3% of sales, and other products the
>remaining 25%. In three years, the company is forecasting 20% of its
>digital camera sales to be DSLR models, with compact models
>constituting 60%. Two years later, the mix is expected to be 30%
>DSLR, and 40% compact models.

Oly does a good job with the compacts. But who would want to jump
into a whole new SLR system, not compatible with anyone else, not
full frame, and not of the performance level of other camera systems?
I gave Oly a chance and bought an E-1, C5050, C5060, 14-54, 50-200
and now they finally are coming out with some other decent lenses,
but no good working distance macro, no IS, mediocre auto
focus, poorer noise, etc, etc. and they wonder why the world is not
flocking in droves. I think they let the compact camera mentality
influence the professional SLR design too much and just did not
come out with the professional level camera system winner they
could have. I'm just one more data point in the statistics that
has moved on. Oly just does not have what I need, and I tried. Their
only hope is competing as a lower cost system, which is what the
4/3's was suppose to give them:

11-22mm $800
150/2 $2220
18-180 3.5-6.3 $500
300/2.8 $7000
35-100/2 $2500

This is quite expensive glass to make a commitment to, compared to
the alternatives if you need a professional system. Hopefully with the
E-500 and a decent stable of lenses, this is just the low point before an
up turn. The next couple of years will tell. But I won't be one to help them
get there any more. I think Oly sees the volume in sales at the lower
end of things, competing with the Rebels, etc.

Wayne