[OM] Re: Oly Woes

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly Woes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:06:38 -0800
Ali wrote:

>What stinks is that the average person hasnt really heard of Olympus. I
>was in a local Walmart the other day, standing in the digital camera
>section, checking out the nifty PS digicams. A young couple came
>strolling over and were looking at the camera's - a Walmart "photo
>expert"/salesperson walked over to assist the couple. The couple told
>the kid they were just starting to gather interest in a digital camera
>and asked his opinion. The "photo expert" told the couple that in his
>estimation.....KODAK is the best! He proceeded to tell them - "for
>Can*n/Nik*n/Etc - you are paying more for a name".

I don't know about Wal-Mart, but the retail camera business has forever
had spiffs, "retail incentives", where the salesperson gets rewarded for
selling certain brands and or models of camera. I had a friend who
worked at a retailer for a while. No matter what his personal
opinion/experience, he also knew that sale of one brand would be extra
money in his pocket and another would not. Kinda hard to make unbiased
recommendations when you can really use the money....

>I felt like butting in and saying take a look at the Olympus 800  but I kept
>quiet and
>walked away. Ok - maybe Walmart is a bad example but even even at local
>camera shops you'd hard pressed to find an Olympus.

My local camera store has Oly promo materials prominently displayed up
front. They carry compacts, prosumers and the E-300, then 500. I've seen
salespeople recommend Oly.

At Costco yesterday*, they had an Oly compact or two and the E-500 two
lens kit. A woman was complaining about the fancy Oly her husband had
bought and how it took worse pictures that the prior P&S cameras. As the
sales guy started to try to find out why, she said it didn't matter,
since he had dropped it and broken the LCD, so they needed a new camera.
She asked about the Pent*x Optio and he said something about another
camera. Then she mentioned they ahd xD cards they didn't want to waste.
He said only Oly and Fuji use those and promptly showed her an Oly,
saying it was a vey good little P&S. I don't know whether he avoided
mentioning it at first because of her report of a bad Oly experience or not.

Moose

*Yes, I buy packaged goods there, but no photofinishing or scanning.