[OM] Re: St Paul de Vence, Alpes-Maritimes, France

Subject: [OM] Re: St Paul de Vence, Alpes-Maritimes, France
From: Jonas Otter <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:33:14 +0100
Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree it's not a particularly good scan - but hashed? As I pointed out
> in my reply, all the dynamic range is there. And sharpness is all the
> size of the scan can carry. It's a little washed out, but that's better
> than too contrasty with highlights and shadows gone. At least everything
> is there and can be rearranged
> <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Eau.htm>.

Moose,

That does make a difference! What did you do to it?

I have yet to learn all the Photoshop tweaking stuff; I doubt I will put lots
of effort into it since I spend most of my time fighting computers for a
living, and recreation for me is doing something completely different, such as
getting better at old-fashioned physical darkroom work.

Concerning the cost of the scanning, what annoyed me was that a) they did not
ask me whether I wanted the low-resolution option I got or the high-resolution
one; so I simply assumed I would get scans filling the CD, which would have
given me at least 10 MB scans of each image, and b) at the rate they charged
me, scanning 8 films would cost me the same as a new Canon 8400F scanner.

Just for comparison, my scan cost me the same as
6.35 US gals of unleaded petrol
50 mins work by a carpenter/plumber/electrician
30 mins work by a software consultant
a 3-course dinner at a good restaurant
2 hours' average pay for a 25 year old female employee in private enterprise

Scans of negative colour films were considerably cheaper, but as I said having
the 14 unprocessed films in my fridge scanned would cost more than buying a
scanner, to say nothing of the dozens of over 40-year-old films I have from
previous generations of my family. Also, they could not scan or even print a
colour 120 film I had, obviously their shiny new digital lab cannot scan medium
format films. My only option of ever having that film printed is to scan it
myself and have the scans printed (not expensive at all) or having it scanned
by some pro lab.

Jonas

Considering