[OM] Re: Sniping advice anyone?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sniping advice anyone?
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:07:16 +0000
yaBe shows canceled bids fortunately. If someone places a ridiculously high
bid, then withdraws it claiming they made an error, the max bid of the previous
bidders will be obvious before the bid is withdrawn. Also the reserve price
will be visible.

yaBe had a problem awhile back where some sellers would have shills keep
bidding on something that was purported to be valuable but in reality was fake
or junk. Real customers would be caught up in the bidding frenzy and bid
against the shills untimately being stuck with expensive junk. Doesn't normally
affect snipes since they are setup before the shills do much.

Make sure your snipe isn't too early. When I place a manual snipe I believe it
would take me less than 15 seconds to revise it and place it again.

Also look at the difference between your bid and the next highest. YaBe has a
minimum increment that varies with last bid price. If your bid is regularly at
the absolute highest you entered and the second highest bid is the minimum
increment below that, that is an amazing coincidence unless you are entering
bids in simple multiples of for instance $5. The going price of Olympus gear is
known by many of the regular bidders. It's not too surprising that the winning
bids often fall in a narrow range.

If another bidder knows you are going to put in a snipe, they can check out
your bidding history and make a guess what you will do.

-jeff