[OM] Re: Fisheye confusion

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye confusion
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:34:49 -0700
Jim Brokaw wrote:
> Two different 180-degree views. The 8mm fisheye typically shows a fully
> circular image, usually about 23mm diameter to fit across the frame of the
> film. The corners outside the circle are blank or black and have no image in
> them.

  Okay, that ties in with what I'd expected of a "fisheye" lens.
(especially now that I know fisheye = not rectilinear rather than
anything else, thanks to Jeff)

> The 16mm fisheye makes a larger circle, then crops out the 24 x 36mm full
> frame from the circle, just fitting it across the circle, so that the
> diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner touches the edges of the
> circle.

  So, on an E-1, the 16mm fisheye wouldn't get me anything over the
14-54 except for some possibly interesting distortion, and even on 35mm
film, compared to the existing 17mm lens I have, it wouldn't get me much
more.

  An 8mm fisheye wouldn't cover 180 degrees after cropping -- I'd need a
"4mm" lens to be the equivalent of what the 8mm does on 35mm film, and I
don't know if that exists.

  thanks!

  -- dan