[OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 24: 2 more entries added to the gallery
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:04:09 -0400
On 11/17/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, guys, get your stories straight. If using the IP # doesn't need a
> DNS, how can my inability to get there using the IP# rather than the URL
> be a DNS problem?

That'd be why I was leaning to it not being a DNS problem. All DNS
does is lookup the IP address. I didn't completely rule it out because
I hadn't heard what was happening when you tried it by IP address.

> OK, I ran tracert for both the URL and the IP. Identical results. It
> stops in the Netherlands at the same IP. Full traces below.
>
> > If it's within your ISP's network you SHOULD be able to get them to
> > fix it. If it's off their
> > network call them and complain but it'll be a lot harder for them to
> > fix it (especially if it's a few networks removed).
>
> How about 8 hops past SBC? How can they do anything about that?

Well it's past 8 hops but the good news is that it goes from SBC to
above.net and that's as far as it goes. So while it's a lot of hops
it's only changing 1 provider. From the tracert that Mark Dopaz posted
it looks like the next hop past where you're getting stuck is still
above.net.

> I guess! Everybody keeps saying it probably isn't blocking by the TOPE
> site. It is pretty clearly blocking by whatever address is next past
> "so-7-0-0.mpr1.ams5.nl.above.net [64.125.27.178]", since that 's where
> it stops and it does so when I use the IP#
>
> The other reason I believe it is address blocking is that I can still
> connect using Compuserve. Same computer, same DSL connection, same URL
> or IP entered. So if I approach using my own "name", I am rejected, If I
> approach cloaked in a Compuserve "name", I am accepted. And who said the
> old stories like Cyrano aren't relevant in today's technical world?

I snipped the tracert stuff but it clearly shows that it's not a DNS
error since you get the correct IP when you try to do a traceroute to
www.tope.nl so it is able to look up the IP address. As you're
discovering, most tech support issues are based on a process of
elimination. Here's a quick list of what the usual causes of not being
able to get to particular websites:

1. Browser settings (we've ruled this out since the same browser works
when connected through Compuserve).

2. Other software on the computer blocking the connection (again, same
computer works through Compuserve so that's ruled out).

3. DNS error (you can look up the correct IP so that's ruled out).

4. Routing problems.

5. Connection being blocked enroute or at the destination.

There's a few more possibilities but those are some of the common ones
and a lot of the other ones are ruled out by stuff that's more
complicated to go through.

I'm a little hesitant to blame it on connection blocking because the
point you're getting stuck is at an above.net to above.net hop (the
next hop past where you're getting stuck is still above.net). If
above.net was having problems with SBC then I'd expect them to right
where SBC connects in to above.net (you always want to block traffic
as close to the source as you can). Granted it looks like SBC either
buys upstream from above.net or has a peering agreement with them so
it could be that they won't block it there but the Netherlands office
doesn't realise this and they're blocking them there. Still seems odd
because you'd think they'd block them 1 hop earlier when the
connection comes over from the UK.

Because of that I'm still inclined to think that it's something fouled
up with the routing. My guess would be that there's a problem where
Netherlands above.net doesn't know how to get back to SBC. Again
though, it seems a little bit odd since the hop before is Netherlands
above.net as well. Mark's traceroute shows that the same hop is able
to route the traffic to tope.nl so it's not a question of the traffic
going in that direction.

You might want to try the same traceroute when you're connected
through Compuserve and see what route it takes.

The only other thing I could think of off the top of my head would be
if there is some software that's only used by the SBC connection and
not the Compuserve one. For instance, if 1 was dial-up and 1 was DSL
then you might have a firewall that's configured to only block traffic
on the 1 connection. Without knowing how the 2 connections differ it's
really hard for me to speculate on this.