[OM] [OT] Mice & other PC questions ...

Subject: [OM] [OT] Mice & other PC questions ...
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:22:51 -0000
Hi Guys,

Sorry - another OT one, but once I have my computing issues sorted I can
use the computers to scan and post some images taken with OMs !!!  And I
know at least some of you guys will know the answers to my questions ..

I have a cabling nightmare.  I have 2 computers.  One is a PC with PS/2
ports and USB ports (and more).  The other is a Mac-Mini with no PS/2
ports.  I want to share one keyboard, mouse, and monitor via a KVM
switch.

The monitor is no problem.  Done that already.

My mouse, to which I am rather partial, is a Microsoft Intellimouse
Explorer Wireless.  The receiver for this unit has a USB connector.

My keyboard, which I also quite like, is a PS/2 keyboard.

My KVM switch has PS/2 sockets for Mouse & Keyboard, and PS/2 plugs for
the same on both cables that go to the computers.

So, I figured that if I bought an adaptor with a USB socket and a PS/2
plug, I could use the USB mouse through the KVM switch.  But it doesn't
work.  And it doesn't work when plugged directly into the PCs PS/2 port
either.

Upon further investigation, it seems that USB uses a differential data
signal (that is, 2 data lines - a Data+ and a Data-) whereas PS/2 uses
one data line and a clock line.  Currently, the adaptor I have connects
USB Data- to the PS/2 Data line, and USB Data+ to the PS/2 Clock line.
Is there any way I can make this work ?  If it is true "balanced" data
(like audio) can I just connect the USB Data+ line to the PS/2 Data line
and ignore the USB Data- line ?  What about the PS/2 Clock line ?

If I get my USB mouse to talk to my PS/2 port, what about my Mac-Mini ?
Will I suffer similarly awful problems trying to plug the 2x PS/2 plugs
from the KVM switch into the USB socket of the Mac-Mini, via a standard
adaptor ?

Assuming this isn't going to work at all (shame, as I was hoping to use
the stuff I already have without eating into the OM fund !), what's my
best option ?  I have a couple of USB keyboards, so is there such a
thing as a KVM switch that works on USB mice and keyboards ?

Sorry for the number of questions.  Am drowning in cables here, and my
desktop has just too many mice / keyboards.  I'm utterly sick of typing
away only to discover that I'm typing on the wrong machine !!

Thanks for any help you can throw my way,

Jon