[OM] Re: Bad Company or one toke over the line sweet Jesus . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad Company or one toke over the line sweet Jesus . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:15:54 -0500
Since I don't own an Oly digital maybe I'm not the right one to answer.
  I don't have any actual experience with Oly digitals other than
holding one in the store.  My own digital is the Minolta A1 but I have
lots of experience using Canon D30, D60, 10D and 20D cameras owned by
other people.

If I were to buy a camera based on its ergonomics I'd probably buy a
Minolta 7D.  Never used one of these outside the store either but it's
close to the A1 and feels comfortable and familiar.  Canon would be last
on the list here.  I don't actually like using them.

Based on image stabilization I'd also choose the Minolta 7D.  The Canon
(and probably Nikon) IS implementation in the lens is probably a bit
superior to trying to move the sensor around quickly but it does work
fairly well and is dramatically cheaper than replacing all your lenses
with IS glass.

But none of this (including sensor cleaning) really matters to me very
much because of what I shoot.  In the past two years I have been turned
into a portrait and event photographer and my key demands have become
high ISO, low noise performance; fast, reliable autofocus under low
light conditions and high flash sync speed for daylight fill flash.  All
of this means that I'm extremely likely to buy the Canon 30D or whatever
they choose to call the follow-on to the 20D because, on these points
alone, it will probably still be superior to whatever the competition
has.  And, as icing on the cake, I get to use a a few pieces of OM glass
that aren't duplicated by whatever Canon mount glass I buy.

Because of what and how I shoot the decision is very clear in my mind at
the moment as it's controlled by only a few key factors.  If I was still
shooting purely for my own enjoyment as I did with the OM's the decision
would be tougher.  Maybe the Minolta 9D if there ever is such a thing.
At this point it's not clear to me that Minolta or Oly or Pentax will
even survive.  They're totally dependent on their sensor providers who,
so far I'm afraid, have let them down.

Chuck Norcutt