[OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: eBay payment advice sought
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:21:07 -0800
Probably others have differing opinions but for me the advantage PayPal has
comes from the credit card company, not from PayPal. In the U.S. the credit
card companies offer some protection to the buyer against misrepresented
merchandise. I suspect PayPal won't over any significant protection on a
large purchase that you picked up and later found defective.

Automobile purchases from a private party (and from many dealers) are caveat
emptor. Some places in the U.S. will do an inspection to verify it is in
good condition. California State Auto Assoc. had/has a program where if you
were intending to purchase a used car you or the seller could take it to a
CSAA approved shop and get it inspected.

Good luck,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Advice sought.

I'm going to bid on a relatively expensive automotive item (caravan; ca.
£3000) which I have not seen and is in Bolton.

The seller has provided the chassis number and I am going to try to check
that the van isn't stolen, but nothing is 100%.

Assuming I "win", which is fairly likely, I can pay by PayPal or by cash on
collection.

PayPal has the advantage that it can be cancelled if there's a problem, and
the transaction is traceable. But how easy is it to cancel? It means paying
in advance of seeing the van, as well.

Cash has the advantage that we can inspect the van before handing it over.
But if there's a problem 10 minutes later, getting the cash back is a
non-starter.

What do experienced eBayers think, please? I'm currently PayPal-inclined.

Thanks,

Simon