[OM] Re: (OM) OT eBay scams

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) OT eBay scams
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:49:57 -0400
On 11/23/05, ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Highjacked accounts seem to account for a lot of the criminal activity
> perpetrated on the Web.  I caught a crook at work at Amazon a couple
> weeks ago and phoned to report him/her.  The person who answered was
> clueless.
>
> Is it that difficult to create secure accounts?  Or are the account
> holders lax about protecting them?

Depends on the circumstances. A lot of people use bad passwords that
can be easily guessed. For ebay, I'd say it's more likely that the
original account holders fell for one of the numerous phishing emails
from "ebay security". Then figure that most people tend to use the
same password over and over again and you've suddenly got access to
all kinds of different sites. You use the information you get from
those sites to figure out what other sites they might have accounts on
(say by reading their email).

Then there's the whole host of security flaws you can exploit or
places that just aren't employing very good security.