[OM] Re: Color print film recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Color print film recommendations
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:38:43 -0800 (PST)
I use Fuji Superia 400 Wallyworld special, Andrew.
  Chris recommended the Superia Reala 100, but to be honest, you need a much
better scanner than mine to see any difference if there is any.  There was an
article in OP a couple of years ago and they stated that its grain is
comparable to the grain of 100ASA films.  You will get unpleasant results with
it if you use a razor sharp lens for your portraits.
  I have used also the films Dean and Chuck recommended, but with my 6X6 camera
and can't really compare, since my scanner does not have the capabilities to
scan it.  From looking at the prints, I don't see any difference (in color
reproduction), but would assume that the Superia will handle different
lightning situations better than those, because of the fourth layer.
  I never had good results with the Kodak films recommended.  In my experience
they tended to shift and the people looked more like happy peaches than having
faitfully reproduced skin colors, yes even with the professional film.  Also
they can't reproduce the greens as well as Fuji films do.
  One thing to know about the Fuji films...they need to be slightly
overexposed, otherwise in certain situations, you will probably see increase of
grain size in the dark shadows and muddy colors.
  HTH
  Boris