[OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise

Subject: [OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:21:10 -0400
On 11/24/05, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're all sticklers about something then, Frugal ... :-)

Well the other one that bugs me is when you see a noun that was
derived from a verb further modified to create another verb. Or a verb
derived from a noun modified into a noun. For example, at a recent
staff meeting we were talking about an orientation for new staff and
several people said things such as, "the new staff will be orientating
on...." Now I looked this up on www.dictionary.com and I saw that the
American Heritage Dictionary does consider "orientating" as valid.
But, orientation is derived from the verb "to orient" so why you would
tack on a further ending to turn it back into a verb as opposed to
simply declining "to orient" (orienting in this case).

Similarly a short time ago someone mentioned "origination" instead of
"origin". There you have a noun (origin) turned into a verb (to
originate) turned back into a noun.

In this same line of thinking, I suppose I should now be saying these
words have been bastardisated :-)