[OM] Re: ICC Profiles

Subject: [OM] Re: ICC Profiles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:40:15 -0800
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>My Monaco EzColor kit manages to dispense with the expensive spectrophotometer
>by using software and a flatbed scanner to scan an IT8 target on the flatbed
>and:
>1)  profile the scanner
>2)  profile the printer using print output fed through the scanner.

VueScan also does that. The problem is that the monitor is still not
part of the profiled system. So if one has already worked out the
relationship between what is seen on the screen and what comes out of
the printer, profiling the printer with that method can actually make
things worse. Did for me anyway. I went back to what I had before.

I think some sort of photometer is needed for the monitor to make a
fully color profiled system. Then one can do the print a target, scan
the print, profile the ink/paper combo so it works reliably. I'm looking
forward to that one day....

Moose