[OM] Re: Best compact flash card

Subject: [OM] Re: Best compact flash card
From: "Bao C. Ha" <bao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:12:59 -0800 (PST)
For CF, read is always faster than write! Read speed is probably
limited by the ATA PIO mode 4 or about 16.7 MB/s (burst!). Some
may even have the multiword UDMA mode 2 or about 33 MB/s, but
they are error-prone. And most DSLR don't even know how to take
advantages. I think the Nikon D2X may be the only one knowing
about the UDMA mode 2, currently.

For fast transfers from CF to disk/computer, just use a USB 2.0
card reader.

Bao

On Fri, November 25, 2005 8:57 pm, ScottGee1 wrote:

> Glad you mentioned this.  I find read speed more important than write
> as I rarely shoot quickly enough to even fill the camera buffer.  I do
> find that faster cards allow quicker review.
>
> Next question is, does that translate to faster transfer from card to
> disk?
>
> ScottGee1
>

> On 11/25/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Bao C. Ha wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Ali,
>> >
>> >I assume the E-500 is similar to the E-300. Following is
>> >a report of the E-300 write speed test:
>> >http://myolympus.org/E300/writetime/
>> >
>> >The Ultra II is similar to some of the high performance
>> >CF cards as the Kingston Elite Pro, Lexar WA or Lexar
>> >40x. The Sandisk Extreme III or Ultra III does pull ahead
>> >of the pack.
>> >

>> Useful site, thanks. Until I learn thta things have changed, I would
>> pick a Sandisk over a Lexar with similar write speed. The Sandisks have
>> had MUCH faster read speeds, according to Rob Gailbraith's tests.
>>
>> Moose

>> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha
Hacom OpenBrick Distributor USA http://www.hacom.net
voice: (714) 530-8817 fax: (714) 530-8818
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD 42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38