[OM] Re: Best compact flash card

Subject: [OM] Re: Best compact flash card
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:37:56 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>No all USB2.0 reader are fast and actually most of them are very slow. My
>Lexar 9 in 1 USB2.0 reader only transfer 2.5MB per second with a Ultra II
>card. The Lexar Firewire CF RW019 do it three times faster.

To quote myself from July 30th.

"I just timed my All in 1 USB 2.0 reader on 89mb. 300D RAW files have 2
components, so it was 12 large and 6 small files. I used Can*n's
Zoombrowser app that downloads and manages files, rather than just
straight copy. 2.6mz, 1gb, 7200rpm IDE disk. Download speed from Sandisk
Ultra II 1gb card was about 7.8 mb/sec."

Looks like it is the same speed as your Lexar firewire reader.

Just because the Lexar USB 2.0 is much slower than their Firewire,
doesn't mean the same thing is true for other makers. My reader cost $16
and is very fast with CF cards.

On the other hand, it later turns out to have a flaw apparently common
to many multi format readers with the same chip set, apparently both
branded and no name like mine. They don't recognize xD cards once they
have been formatted in a camera. But that gave me an excuse to buy an
Oly MAUSB-300. It cost a little more than the multi-reader and only
works with xD cards, but is much smaller and cuter and says Olympus on
it. Oh, and it works where the other didn't. Can be used as a 'thumb'
drive too.

Moose