[OM] Re: Best compact flash card

Subject: [OM] Re: Best compact flash card
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:05:42 -0500
My 1GB Sandisk Ultra II also reads at slightly over 7 MB/sec using the
SanDisk "ImageMate" USB 2.0 CF reader.  Lexar 256MB 40X WA cards read at
about 1/2 that speed in the SanDisk reader and only about 1.5 MB/sec in
the Lexar reader that was included with the Lexar 256 cards.  That
reader doesn't even recognize the SanDisk card.  I've decided to stick
to SanDisk in the future.

I've used 2 other brands of CF cards a couple of years ago as solid
state boot disks in custom computer display products.  One was Dane-Elec
and the other was Viking.  Both brands had 1 or two failures in less
than one year after each was installed in roughly 15 custom displays.
Whether this is typical of CF cards that are constantly powered on I
don't know but was very disappointed in the failure rate.

CF cards do have a limited life time for writes (about 300,000 for each
storage cell if memory serves me correctly) but, because of that, we
made sure to equip each computer with sufficient RAM that it should
never have had to do any paging and chip away at the limited number of
write cycles.  To be sure, there was some writing going on but the CF
cards were nearly read only devices.

Chuck Norcutt