[OM] Re: Epson 1270 printing problems

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 1270 printing problems
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 01:09:05 -0800
robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Moose wrote:
>
><<I'm getting good results from my 1270, very good to my eyes. The only
>reason I would even consider a replacement printer would be for longer
>print life. I tried profiling it using an IT8 target and Vuescan, but
>prefer the results from the built in profiles in the Epson driver.
>
>Be careful NOT to use both an ICC profile in PS, or other color aware
>app., AND the printer driver color management at the same time. That can
>really screw things up.>>
>
>Moose, et al:
>
>I am working with a factory spec recalibrated Sony SDM-X93 19" LCD monitor

But recalibrated to what? Is there an ICC profile for it and do you have
it set? If it looks good to you, that's fine for your editing, but
doesn't mean brightness will happen be matched to that assumed in the
printer driver or any particular printer/paper profile.

>After more wrestling with several photos I discovered that I had some embedded
>profiles in some files from opening photos in other applications. After
>opening
>those photos as untagged RGB files I was able to get a couple of photos with
>weird
>preview colors to look "normal." My photos usually look great on the monitor.
>The
>previews look great. But, the photos are always printed too dark by the 1270.
>I have
>used only a couple of combinations of inks and paper, including Epson Inks and
>Premium glossy paper and inks and paper from inkjetart.com. Regardless of the
>combination, my photos print the same--great looking, but dark. I have tried
>altering
>the brightness and contrast before printing. Previews look good. Photos still
>print too
>dark.
>
>Any suggestions as to how to get lighter prints?

If the color is right and brightness is all that's off, fixing it is
easy. I just looked at my saved settings in the Epson printer driver. I
see that I have Epson Photo paper set at -5 brightness. Kodak EPP has
the color settings they recommend and I have added +5 brightness. Red
River PG53 has brightness set to -10. That way, they each come out the
same brightness. You should be able to change the brightness to your
liking and save the custom settings.

Moose