[OM] Re: My small thougts about IS was Re: Re: Bad Company or one toke o

Subject: [OM] Re: My small thougts about IS was Re: Re: Bad Company or one toke over the line sweet Jesus . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:37:52 -0500
The only Canon IS lens I've used is the 28-135/3.5-5.6.  Optical
performance of this lens (even with IS off) is nothing to brag about but
I think the IS works reasonably well.  I've used it on a D30, D60, 20D
and know someone else who uses it on a 10D.  No problems.

Sounds like your friend needs another IS lens or another Canon body so
he can swap lens and body to determine the culprit.  If it's been in the
shop for months and still not fixed it's time to ask for replacement units.

If I do buy the 20D follow-on next year (as I probably will) I will
avoid Canon IS glass in favor of faster/cheaper Tokina or Tamron glass.
    Maybe even Sigma glass except that seems to be something of a
quality control crap shoot.  I need fast, reliable autofocus under poor
light worse than I need image stabilization.  The fast glass can also
help with image stabilization if you're willing to shoot wide open.

Chuck Norcutt