[OM] Monaco Optix XR

Subject: [OM] Monaco Optix XR
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:16:38 -0000
When the question of profiling software arose last week, I was in the middle
of a frustrating problem using a Monaco Optix XR with EZColor software, so I
held off on giving a recommendation (I was not especially happy with its
refusal to accept output from two different scanners, and its
less-than-fulsome explanation of what was lacking).

On the strength of the support received, I can now 'fess up.  Strongly
recommended!

I sent a support email describing the problem, asking what information they
needed from me for a resolution.  Had an initial response within an hour,
and a very clear explanation, illustration and recommendation in a similar
timeframe after my followup.  The scanner problem was completely resolved
without the usual "please downlaod the latest drivers, re-install the
software and we will take it from there" kind of response.

That wasn't the end of my problems, I needed help with one printer, sent a
further email to support.  Guess what?  I got a phone call to talk me
through my problem and the workaround.

That kind of support (from the UK distributor) is very unusual in my
experience, and counts for a very great deal.

The same distributor handles the Spyder, but the tech I was speaking to
seemed very reluctant to offer any opinion on that particular product.

I have been using the Optix XR derived profiles for a couple of months now,
and wasted ink/paper levels have dropped significantly - the difference a
fully-profiled system makes is hard to believe.

--
Piers