[OM] Re: Monaco Optix XR

Subject: [OM] Re: Monaco Optix XR
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:54:29 -0000
Bernard, I use three printers - well two printers and one "printer" and
three scanners:

Printer 1 is an HP inkjet which had no profile, but does have its own
printer driver enhancement/optimisation facility.
Printer 2 is a Minolta Magicolor laser which has OEM profiles
Printer 3 is a Fuji Frontier 340 at the local supermarket, for which I have
a custom profile

Sacnner 1 is part of the above HP inkjet which had no profile
Scanner 2 is a Xerox 2400 flatbed which had no profile
Scanner 3 is a Nikon 4000ED which has an OEM profile

The PC has LCD screen which had no profile

Since profiling monitor and inkjet printer (which required profiling at
least one scanner) I can get satisfactorily absolute consistency between the
Fuji Frontier and the inkjet, meaning I can proof at say 15x10cm before
getting a Fuji Frontier print at 30x20cm.  I cannot say there is absolute
consistency between monitor and print because I find it very hard to equate
screen with paper - but I do find that I can now have a good foretaste of
what will appear on paper (by whichever process) before committing to paper,
and I can also avoid the huge expense (in money and time) of running off
several A4 inkjet prints trying to get "the right one" because I get a proof
from the inkjet which I now know is comparable with the Fuji Frontier.
Before, it was a matter of luck what turned out from the Frontier (and the
turn round time on Frontier prints was longer and more inconvenient -  a
trip to the supermarket).  Now, I know what I am going to get.

My remaining problem is to find a way of profiling the laser printer for
different papers.  It's a problem because of the way the printer makes
shades and tones, essentially by cross hatching the CMY toners at different
weights - when it comes to scanning the colour patches, the profiling
software can't read the patches properly.  More work required!

To answer your drect question this way - the inbuilt HP driver optimisation
provides nice-looking prints, no doubt.  But there is no way to describe the
results as reproducible across different printers/different papers/different
inksets.  ICC profiles make that possible, equally no doubt.  If you aleady
have the XR, what is stopping you?

HTH!

--
Piers