[OM] Re: My small thougts about IS

Subject: [OM] Re: My small thougts about IS
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:32:44 -0500
At 07:48 AM 11/28/2005, Johan Malmstrom wrote:

>  My small thought is that prime-lenses a sharp, zoom-
>lenses a bit worse and IS-technologies makes a lens even bad.

Hi Johan,

You got two out of three right.

You don't say what lens your friend is using and how it's being
tested.  Canon IS lenses (except for the newest designs) don't like
to be shot from a tripod with the IS turned on.  Something about
their design makes them "hunt" when the IS is on and they're mounted
firmly to a tripod.  I have a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and they're known
for being very sharp (for a zoom) and they use the new design IS that
will also work on a tripod.  I can't tell you what's wrong with your
friend's camera/lens combination but, what ever is wrong, I'd bet
it's not due to inherent problems with Canon's IS technology.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA