[OM] Re: Henry's of Toronto - any good?

Subject: [OM] Re: Henry's of Toronto - any good?
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:41:52 -0500
Retail selling can be a very viable profession but professionalism in the
field seems very much on the wane for exactly the reasons you mention.
IMO, ineffective management is the primary reason.  I suspect the problem
will worsen as better on-line stores establish themselves over the years.

Sadly and perhaps predictably, the only camera stores remaining in my local
area charge close to list price for their goods and apparently allow
salespeople to cherry pick used gear before it's offered to the public.
Since my little photo budget goes further with used stuff, I rarely even
bother going into the stores any more.  Not so long ago I did almost all of
my business in person even when Shutterbug was the Big Dog.  Now it's the
opposite and I miss it!  My wife can't understand why I bother going to
camera swap meets occasionally since I usually come home empty handed.
Nostalgia, baby, nostalgia.

And it bugs me when the locals complain that they "can't compete with those
warehouses in New York that don't have any overhead".  I wonder how much B&H
pays per square foot for their "35,000 + sq. ft. Superstore located on the
West Side of Manhattan." and hundreds of employees?  Yeah, they don't have
much overhead.  Ahem.

FWIW/ScottGee1