[OM] Re: Dented M-1 description on yabe

Subject: [OM] Re: Dented M-1 description on yabe
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:34:07 -0000
Knowingly or otherwise - yes, if your buyer doesn't know what they are
looking at.

Paraphrasing an Olympus service agent known to me, he acquired the remaining
parts stock of the service agent in one of the larger English speaking
islands of Europe, and was surprised to find a number of M-1 top plates.  He
questioned why they were still in stock.  Oh, we never really noticed, they
must have been the original service stock.  We just put them on if an OM-1
needed a new top - didn't notice they were any different, to be sure!

I think Mark Dapoz has a page of "How to identify a real M-1" at
http://olympus.dementia.org but as a starter I would always check that there
are four pins in the film guide - nit a sign of an M-1 itself, but a
confirmation that it is an early body.  It's too easy to switch top plates
and put a non-MD bottom plate on.

--
Piers