[OM] Re: [OT] Help with monitor problem

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Help with monitor problem
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:12:27 -0400
On 12/1/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, you are correct that my Samsung SyncMaster 753DF is a flat screen
> CRT.  However, the distortion is not the same on both axes.
> Horizontally it does get worse the further from the axis.  Vertically, I
> suppose it could be said to grow worse with distance from the optical
> axis but that means one must explain a negative effect above the
> mid-point and a positive effect below the mid-point.
>
> My wife's monitor is not a flat screen but displays as much distortion
> horizontally as my flat screen monitor.  It does, however, have no
> distortion vertically.
>
> I don't think the hypothesis is complete enough yet.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

I'd guess the geometry settings are off (horizontal size for
instance). With your wife's the vertical size could be correct by the
horizontal size is stretching the image. If it's not correcting for
the distortion towards the edges as it's stretched that would explain
the larger size at the edges. Should be fairly easy to play with the
settings to see if that's it.

For your monitor, I could see that for the horizontal stretching but
the vertical stretching seems odd. Although, it could depend on where
the optical axis is. Don't know why it wouldn't be centered on the
screen surface though. Again though, it should be fairly easy to play
with the settings to at least rule this out.